Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Last Time I Was Me

The Last Time I Was MeThe Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


Can't figure out how many stars to give this, perhaps by the end of this review I'll figure it out.

The main character, Jeanne Stewart, is a broken woman who as the most creative smart mouth but also the most shattered of broken hearts. She doesn't take crap from anyone but goes home alone and cries and drinks herself to oblivion every day.

Part of me really likes Jeanne Stewart, she's sassy, smart and not afraid to speak what's on her mind. But then she comes across as a feminist and incredibly sarcastic and pushes and pushes, too much so and I'm not sure she is someone I would like. However when you read on and get to know the Jeanne who is incredibly caring and wants to give all her heart to those she loves, even if from a distance, I really start to like her.

There is one portion of the book that is so morally wrong I'm having a hard time accepting it. I won't spoil it but it goes against every moral fiber I have. If I were in that mortiferous situation, I would like to think I would obey what is ethically right. But do you risk so many other lives in the process over fixing something so tremendously evil in the first place?

I understand what it is to feel one thing on the inside but come across completely different on the outside. Jeanne Stewart is really an exaggeration and yet a replica of almost every woman. We are incredibly sensitive on the inside but sometimes the things we say and do don't accurately portray our true selves. For that, I applaud the book. Yes, very much over the top at times, far fetched and ridiculous, but the wit and humor and the tears that flowed from reading this book will touch your heart.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment