Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Great Escape

The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)The Great Escape by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I like SEP, I've loved some of her other books, but this one just read oddly to me. I hated the nicknames for the two main characters. I didn't like how utterly banana's Lucy Jorik went after she ran away. It was a bit too much and silly. I liked the Bree, Toby, and Mike story. That was a good supporting story. I didn't like how the book ended, not the final ending, but how Lucy got Panda to come see her at her parents house. The interaction with Lucy, Panda and her parents was plain weird.

I think it's great that SEP talked about PTSD, but it didn't really fit well though. It could have been better if it was wound in the story more. Not just in-your-face nah-nah-nah. It's a sensitive topic but I don't think she did it justice. If you want a good story about PTSD, read Home Front by Kristin Hannah. I had a hard time reading that book but she touched on the topic better than SEP did.

So yes, silly, a bit confusing, and drawn out would be my thoughts on this book. And not bad, just not great.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment