Monday, November 7, 2011

A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion #1)

A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

One of the most prolific, amazing biblically themed fiction books I have ever read. This is as moving and touching as The Left Behind Series. I'd dare to even say it's as life changing.

It's quite eerie, perhaps not coincidental that Rome in the time this book takes place is quite similar to what I am seeing in this world today. Rome fell, didn't it? It failed and sometimes it seems we might too. This book nearly creates a fear to turn to God in all things. I have accepted the Lord into my life many years ago and this book infuses His Word into me even more.

I have always loved historical fiction for all that it teaches. This book teaches stories of the old and new testament through a fictional persons persepctive. Yes, fiction, but based on real events. What it could have been like to live in the times soon after Jesus was crucified and how much the Jews and Christians were despised.

Hadassah, a slave, is one of the main characters in this book. Her faith as a Christian is powerful and draws many to her because of the peace she has knowing Jesus is Messiah. However, she is hesitant to share her faith knowing she could be killed for uttering a word of her faith. Her masters, the Valerians, are sinful Romans who pray to whatever god they please and live very sinful, selfish lies. Hadassah never ceases in praying for their souls. When she is accused of being deceitful, her faith is put to the ultimate test.

When you think of ancient Rome you can't help but think of Gladiators. Oh yes, this book has that too and in graphic detail. Atretes is a barbarian captured in Germania and the gladiator focused on in this book. I was confused for some time why he was in this book but towards the end it starts to tie together. It too is another fascinating story line and I'm anxious to see if he plays more of a role in the second or third book.

There is so much to this book I couldn't possibly summarize it. I can tell you that Hadassah is a hero to me though. Wow. I cannot wait to read the rest of the books in this series.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment