Wednesday, January 5, 2011

It's been a long time!

I had PRK eye surgery on November 16th, 2010. Little did I know how long the recovery would take!

It has been seven weeks since the surgery and finally I'm comfortable enough with my sight to read a book. It has been too long, I have really missed reading. My next post will be my first book review in seven weeks AND for 2011.

Back to PRK. The main difference between PRK and LASIK is that LASIK involves creating a corneal flap, correcting the shape of your eye then placing the flap back in place. The vision correction is nearly immediate. With PRK there is no flap involved therefore your eye has to heal itself, new cells have to form to protect the eye. Basically your eye has to scab over but at a very, very slow pace. I was given steroid drops to both keep down swelling and to ensure a slow healing process. The first four weeks I had terrible ghosting/double vision. It was nearly impossible to read anything, especially computers which was extremely difficult for me to handle since my job entails me looking at a computer nearly all day long.

Long story short I missed more work than planned, suffered some anxiety and was pretty miserable. Seven weeks later I'm happy to report that my vision is nearly perfect and other than a little bit of dry eye, I'm very happy with the procedure.

Now, back to reading!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment