Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Winter Sea

The Winter SeaThe Winter Sea by Susanna Kearsley

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Clearly this book belongs in the romance and historical fiction shelves. I am sure that all of the historical references are true but I wouldn't know as I'm no expert in British and French history. I love this book because the author wraps such a beautiful love story in real history and I learned so much.

The great twist with this book is that it is set in both modern and historic times. It's about an author, Carrie, who rents a cottage in Scotland near a castle where she wants to set the story of her latest novel. Soon she realizes that there are voices speaking to her. Not just in an imagination way, but voices of real figures from history. She thought she had randomly picked names but the more she writes, the more she discovers that what she was writing is fact without having searched for the subject matter. And even more odd, it's her own ancestor. Could she somehow be connected to the main character, Sophia Patterson, by more than just lineage?

Meanwhile, Carrie is involved in her own modern day love story with the son of her landlord. It seems that they are connected as deeply as the characters of her story. It's like two loves stories in one!

A great read and a fantastic learning experience.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment